Vincent, Alan, and Rich talk about US government contract for freeze-dried smallpox vaccine, red squirrels in the UK threatened by poxvirus, and Marseillevirus, another DNA virus from amoebae built for comfort and speed.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #63 (64 MB .mp3, 89 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- US Government awards contract to Bavarian Nordic for freeze-dried smallpox vaccine (pdf and clinical trial)
- UK red squirrels threatened by poxvirus: news article one and two, epidemiology and experimental infection
- Another huge virus from amoebae (Wired article, PNAS article, review article)
- Discussion on rabies bait vaccine at virology blog, and status of the program
- List of human viral diseases (pdf)
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com.