Vincent and Dick muse about the symbiotic bacterium, Wolbachia, that protects flies from viral infection, the origin of 2009 influenza H1N1 virus, and the lure of original antigenic sin.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #61 (45 MB .mp3, 62 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Variation in antiviral protection mediated by different Wolbachia strains in Drosophila simulans
- Wolbachia induces resistance to RNA virus infections in Drosophila
- Wolbachia reduces blood-feeding success in Dengue mosquito
- Did 2009 H1N1 influenza come from a laboratory?
- Influenza original antigenic sin in mice but not in humans
- Dengue outbreak in Mexico (thanks Swiss compass!)
- Pig at Minnesota state fair infected with 2009 H1N1 (thanks Swiss compass!)
- Baby kissing pig (jpg) (thanks Swiss compass!)
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com.