The TWiV team notes the passing of Tom Steitz, an outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis in the US, a continuing Ebola virus outbreak in DRC, respiratory vaccinia due to inhalation of ground up rabbit skin, and how a human papillomavirus capsid protein directs virus-containing endosomes towards the nucleus.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Sea Phages program and application materials 3:42
- Tom Steitz, 78 (NY Times) 4:47
- AFM outbreak, US (CIDRAP) 12:23
- AFM surveillance (CDC) 11:28
- Acute Flaccid Paralysis and Enteroviral Infections (Curr Inf Dis Rep) 13:08
- EV-D68 neurotropism (bioRxiv) 15:46
- Ebola virus outbreak continues in DRC (CIDRAP) 17:03
- Vaccinia virus respiratory infection (Int J Inf Dis) 21:36
- HPV L2 penetrates endosome, brings virus retro (Cell) 38:38
- Letters read on TWiV 515 10:53, 1:18:44
- Art by Anje Claeys
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 1:19:56
Brianne – Germ City-Microbes and the Metropolis Museum Exhibition
Alan – Nikon 2018 Small World in Motion competition
Kathy – Ion Torrent Sequencing (video)
Dickson – 2018 Nobel Prizes Economics
Kathy – Ocean-centric map
Vincent – Intelligence Matters Podcast: Anthony Fauci on threats from epidemics
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees.
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com