Zika virus spreads in the USA, a Zika virus DNA vaccine goes into phase I trials, and how mosquito bites enhance virus replication and disease, from the friendly TWiFolk Vincent, Dickson, Alan, and Kathy.
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Beverly Griffin, 86 (1 2 3) 3:10
- Zika virus in the US (CDC) 9:15
- Zika virus spreading in Miami (CDC) 10:00
- Zika virus in Florida (NY Times) 12:25
- NIH begins phase I trial of Zika virus DNA vaccine (NIAID) 19:10
- Mosquito salive enhances West Nile replication in mice (J Virol) 29:45
- Mosquito bites enhance virus infection (Immunity) 27:50
- Photo of A. aegyptii and mouse ears from Marieke Pingen
- Letters read on TWiV 401 6:10, 1:06:45
Timestamps by Jennifer. Thanks!
This episode is brought to you by CuriosityStream, a subscription streaming service that offers over 1,400 documentaries and nonfiction series from the world’s best filmmakers. Get unlimited access starting at just $2.99 a month, and for our audience, the first two months are completel free if you sign up at curiositystream.com/microbe and use the promo code MICROBE. 0:25, 25:30
This episode is also brought to you by Drobo, a family of safe, expandable, yet simple to use storage arrays. Drobos are designed to protect your important data forever. Visit www.drobo.com to learn more. Listeners can save $100 on a Drobo system at drobostore.com by using the discount code Microbe100. 0:50, 59:20
Weekly Science Picks 1:43:30
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org