Project Premonition, a Microsoft Research project that uses drones to capture mosquitoes and analyze them for pathogens, preprint servers, and three mouse models for Zika virus induced birth defects are the topics of this episode hosted by the TWiumvirate and theirs guests Ethan and Jonathan.
Links for this episode
- Project Premonition 8:20
- Premonition feasibility study in Grenada 37:00
- Zika virus causes microcephaly in mice (Cell Stem Cell) 1:33:25
- Brazilian Zika virus causes defects in experimental models (Nature) 1:38:15
- Zika virus causes placental damage and fetal demise in mice (Cell) 1:45:00
- Letters read on TWiV 390 1:09:05
Image: An early prototype of the mosquito trap (image credit).
Timestamps by Jennifer. Thanks!
This episode is sponsored by CuriosityStream. Get two months free when you sign up at curiositystream.com/microbe and use the promo code MICROBE. 0:25, 1:02:00
Also brought to you by ASV 2016 1:56:00
Weekly Science Picks 1:57:25
Dickson – Germany nearly reached 100% renewable power
Alan – Vertical City documentary and Lumino City game
Rich – Errol Morris: ‘Demon in the Freezer’
Kathy – Entropic Time YouTube by A Capella Science (watch “the making of”)
Vincent – Agar Art contest finalists
Jennie – SciFi reading (scroll down)
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org