Vincent, Alan, Dick, and Richard Kessin talk about Lujo virus, a new arenavirus, influenza, WHO rewriting pandemic rules, adjuvants, and a brief history of microbiology.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #35 (57 MB .mp3, 82 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Lujo virus, a new arenavirus
- Is CDC too optimistic about influenza?
- WHO to rewrite pandemic rules
- Adjuvant at wikipedia
- Avery, MacLeod, McCarty 50th anniversary (pdf)
- Pasteur’s swan-neck flask
Broth was placed in a flask, boiled, and the neck was heated and drawn out. The broth was open to the air, but remained sterile as long as microbe-containing dust collected in the neck and did not reach the liquid.
Weekly Science Picks
Send your virology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com