Vincent, Alan, and Hamish Young discuss bacteriophages in viral vaccines, enteroviruses and diabetes, inhibition of Hendra and Nipah virus replication by the malaria drug chloroquine, and viroids.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #24 (41 MB .mp3, 59 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- Bacteriophages in viral vaccines
- Presence of enteroviral VP1 protein in pancreatic islets of diabetics
- Chloroquine inhibits Hendra and Nipah virus replication
- Review on viroids discovered by TO Diener
- Mumps in Ireland
- CDC information on EBV (thanks Megan!) and Journal of Virology paper (thanks Everett!)
Science blog of the week: The Weekly Virus
Science podcast pick of the week: NIH Research Radio Podcast
Science book of the week: Ahead of the Curve: David Baltimore’s Life in Science by Shane Crotty
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.