Vincent, Dick, and Alan converse about hantavirus spread by large deer mice, why the 1918 influenza virus replicates in the lower respiratory tract, measles in Europe, and the growing resistance of influenza virus to antivirals.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #15 (37 MB .mp3, 53 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- MMWR, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report from CDC.
- Larger, older deer mice spread hantavirus.
- Viral RNA polymerase complex promotes optimal growth of 1918 virus in the lower respiratory tract of ferrets.
- Measles in Europe: an epidemiological assessment.
- Avian flu (H5N1) gaining resistance to antivirals.
- Times article on resistance to Tamiflu and analysis by virology blog.
- Angola widens border closure with DRC over Ebola.
- Solutions, the iPhone/iPod Touch app to calculate molar solutions.
- Vaccine, the iPhone/iPod Touch app to determine vaccination schedules.
The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin – published 150 years ago.
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org