Vincent, Dick, and Alan (with a cameo appearance by Rich Condit) review the world’s largest Phase III study of a complex HIV vaccine candidate in Thailand, immunization of salmon against infectious salmon anemia virus, and an outbreak of blueberry shock virus in Michigan.
Click the arrow above to play, or right-click to download TWiV #51 (60 MB .mp3, 84 minutes)
Links for this episode:
- HIV vaccine shows promise for the first time – description of the program, FDA background document (pdf), NEJM review on why AIDS vaccine is difficult (pdf), and arguments for the trial
- Chile immunizes salmon (USGS article on the virus, pdf)
- Blueberry virus strikes Michigan research center (information on the disease and the virus)
- Rotavirus seasonality (thanks Didier!)
- Viruses and the tree of life at virology blog
- Big brains have evolved twice (thanks Arsen!)
Weekly Science Picks
Alan Bat Rabies and Other Lyssavirus Infections
Dick Boosting Vaccines: The Power of Adjuvants (Scientific American; subscription required)
Vincent The Ig Nobel Prizes by Marc Abrahams
Send your virology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.