Daniel Griffin provides a clinical report on COVID-19, we debunk the Great Barrington Declaration, and discuss smell and taste changes as early indicators of the pandemic, vascular disease and thrombosis in SARS-CoV-2 infected humans and rhesus macaques, and the ability of the swine pathogen SADS-CoV to infect human respiratory tract cells.
Guest: Daniel Griffin
Become a patron of TWiV!
Links for this episode
- Daniel’s COVID-19 testing strategy calculator (and medRxiv preprint) 19:24
- US COVID-19 mortality rates (JAMA) 17:50
- Final remdesivir report (NEJM) 20:23
- Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 (NEJM) 21:47
- Tech position with Dr. Rosenfeld 43:28
- Biological safety officer position at CUMC 44:19
- Support MicrobeTV at Parasites Without Borders 26:41, 43:20
- Smell and taste changes as early pandemic indicators (Nat Comm) 1:01:57
- Vascular disease and thrombosis in SARS-CoV-2 infected macaques (Cell) 1:12:45
- SADS-CoV can infect human airway cells (PNAS) 1:32:16
- Letters read on TWiV 673 27:08, 1:47:26
- Timestamps by Jolene. Thanks!
Weekly Science Picks 2:24:08
Dickson – The Age of Nature
Brianne – Virologist, Immunologist, Science Communicator pins and Virus Earrings
Alan – Sharks, Squalene, and a SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine
Rich – 6th Annual Science Mill Benefit
Vincent – The Evolution of Infectious Disease by Paul Ewald
Intro music is by Ronald Jenkees
Send your virology questions and comments to email@example.com