The TWiM team marvels over the finding of a completely nitrifying Nitrospira, and horizontal gene transfer from Wolbachia into an animal genome.
Right click to download TWiM#117 (51 MB .mp3, 71 minutes).
Links for this episode
- Complete nitrification by Nitrospira bacteria (Nature one, two)
- Enigmatic comammox (PhysOrg)
- Ammonia-oxidizing bacteria (Ann Rev Micro)
- Tardigrade controversy (SciAlert)
- Horizontal gene transfer from Wolbachia to grasshopper (PeerJ)
- Image credit
- Letters read on TWiM 117
Music used on TWiM is composed and performed by Ronald Jenkees and used with permission.
Send your microbiology questions and comments (email or mp3 file) to email@example.com.