On episode #15 of the podcast This Week in Microbiology, Vincent, Michael and Jo review the number of species on Earth, evidence that the 2010 Haitian cholera outbreak originated in Nepal, and how the gut microbiota influences the immune response to influenza virus infection of the lung.
Download TWiM #15 (43 MB, .mp3, 59 minutes).
Links for this episode:
- How many species are on Earth? (PLoS Biology)
- 8.7 million species on earth (Washington Post)
- Don’t forget to count microbes
- Bacteria & Archaea don’t get no respect (Tree of Life)
- How many species? (NY Times)
- Origin of the 2010 Haitian cholera outbreak (mBio)
- Did UN peacekeepers bring cholera Haiti?
- Microbiota regulates flu defense (PNAS)
- Letters read on TWiM #15
Send your microbiology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org