On episode #7 of the podcast This Week in Microbiology, Vincent, Cliff, Elio, Margaret, and Michael discuss programmed cell death in E. coli, and the daily synthesis and degradation of enzymes needed for photosynthesis and nitrogen fixation by cyanobacteria.
Download TWiM #7 (44.5 MB, .mp3, 64 minutes).
Image of Cyanobacteria in Lake Littoistenjärvi by Stefe via flickr
Links for this episode:
- E. coli extracelluar death factor EDF
- mRNA cleavage by MazF toxin
- Myxococcus programmed cell death
- Using toxins in antimicrobial bacteriophage
- Death as an option (Small Things Considered)
- Cycling of metalloenzyme inventories in Crocosphaera watsonii (PNAS)
- Growing a green future (Small Things Considered)
- Letters read on TWiM #7
Send your microbiology questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org