This episode: Spherical cyanobacterium Synechocystisacts like a tiny eyeball in sensing light, allowing cells to move closer to light sources!
Download Episode (9.7 MB, 10.6 minutes)
Schuergers N, Lenn T, Kampmann R, Meissner MV, Esteves T, Temerinac-Ott M, Korvink JG, Lowe AR, Mullineaux CW, Wilde A. 2016. Cyanobacteria use micro-optics to sense light direction. eLife 5:e12620.
Other interesting stories:
- Discovering how to get more biofuels out of algae
- Bacteria could help prevent cavities
- Probiotic carrying virus in its genome fights pathogens better than without virus (paper)
- Giving probiotic to pregnant mice influences immune system of babies (paper)
- Combined phage and probiotics could treat E. coli infections(paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!