This episode: Phage therapy can work very well when combined with an effective immune response from the host!
Download Episode (13 MB, 14 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Gammapapillomavirus 8
Roach DR, Leung CY, Henry M, Morello E, Singh D, Di Santo JP, Weitz JS, Debarbieux L. 2017. Synergy between the Host Immune System and Bacteriophage Is Essential for Successful Phage Therapy against an Acute Respiratory Pathogen. Cell Host Microbe 22:38-47.e4.
Other interesting stories:
- Bacteria make antibacterial silver nanoparticles (paper)
- Bacteria produce chemical that could enhance effectiveness of penicillin
- Engineering yeast to produce valuable complex chemicals
- Specific types of gut microbes affect cancer treatment effectiveness
- Microbe-produced enzymes could help clean oil spills
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!
Subscribe at iTunes or Google Play, support the show at Patreon, or check out the show at Twitter, or Facebook