This episode: Unlike most animals, caterpillars don’t seem to have a resident gut microbe to help them in various ways!
Thanks to Tobin Hammer for his contribution!
Download Episode (14 MB, 15 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Borrelia graingeri
Hammer TJ, Janzen DH, Hallwachs W, Jaffe SP, Fierer N. 2017. Caterpillars lack a resident gut microbiome. Proc Natl Acad Sci 114:9641–9646.
Other interesting stories:
- Improving viral delivery of gene therapy across blood-brain barrier
- Engineered gut bacteria bind bowel cancer and kill it with vegetables
- Making bacteria into synthetic phage factories (paper)
- Preventing contamination of industrial algae cultures using predatory bacteria (paper)
- Finding potential new antibiotics in cockroach microbes (paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!
Subscribe at iTunes or Google Play, support the show at Patreon, or check out the show at Twitter, or Facebook
- Categories: BacterioFiles