This episode: Phages bound to magnetic nanoparticles can be guided and pulled toward their target, penetrating biofilms to kill harmful microbes!
Download Episode (9.6 MB, 10.4 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Veillonella alcalescens
Li L-L, Yu P, Wang X, Yu S-S, Mathieu J, Yu H-Q, Alvarez PJJ. 2017. Enhanced biofilm penetration for microbial control by polyvalent phages conjugated with magnetic colloidal nanoparticle clusters (CNCs). Environ Sci Nano 4:1817–1826.
Other interesting stories:
- Social group membership affects lemur gut microbes
- Viruses can transfer genes between kingdoms
- Trace gases in atmosphere enough to support microbes in Antarctica
- Magnetic bacteria can swim even against the current
- Engineered bacteria produce internal scaffolds for better biotech productions
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!
Subscribe at iTunes or Google Play, support the show at Patreon, or check out the show at Twitter, or Facebook