This episode: Figuring out how mushrooms launch their spores out using a trick of water surface tension!
Download Episode (6.7 MB, 7.3 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Carrot torradovirus 1
Liu F, Chavez RL, Patek SN, Pringle A, Feng JJ, Chen C-H. 2017. Asymmetric drop coalescence launches fungal ballistospores with directionality. J R Soc Interface 14:20170083.
Other interesting stories:
- Bacteriophage also inhibits fungal pathogen (paper)
- Virus infects both plant and fungus (paper)
- Gut interactions between bacteria and salt – also this
- Bacteria can transform toxic metals into less harmful forms (paper)
- Microbes generating electricity from swine wastewater
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!
Subscribe at iTunes or Google Play, support the show at Patreon, or check out the show at Twitter, or Facebook