This episode: In mice genetically modified to have Alzheimer’s-like disease, giving probiotics reduced their degeneration!
Thanks to Jintao Liu and Rosa Martinez-Corral for their contributions to this episode!
Download Episode (11.8 MB, 13 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: SARS coronavirus
Bonfili L, Cecarini V, Berardi S, Scarpona S, Suchodolski JS, Nasulti C, Fiorini D, Boarelli MC, Rossi G, Eleuteri AM. 2017. Microbiota modulation counteracts Alzheimer’s disease progression influencing neuronal proteolysis and gut hormone plasma levels. Sci Rep 7:2426.
Other interesting stories:
- Fruit fly bacteria attack wasps’ ribosomes that attack them
- Bacteria living on the eye protect it from infection
- New technique to prevent CRISPR/Cas from functioning
- Tardigrades should be able to survive almost any kind of planetary catastrophe
- Using fungi to recover/clean up metals from liquid (paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!