This episode: Newly discovered giant viruses almost build their own replication machinery instead of using their host’s!
Download Episode (11.2 MB, 12.3 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Terasakiella pusilla
Schulz F, Yutin N, Ivanova NN, Ortega DR, Lee TK, Vierheilig J, Daims H, Horn M, Wagner M, Jensen GJ, Kyrpides NC, Koonin EV, Woyke T. 2017. Giant viruses with an expanded complement of translation system components. Science 356:82–85.
Other interesting stories:
- Using insect bacteria to control devastating citrus disease
- Microbes give meerkat gangs their signature scents
- Bacteria use a special trick with their flagella to get unstuck(paper)
- Fecal transplant microbes can stick around for years after treatment
- Probiotics could help protect honeybees from pesticides
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!