This episode: Fungi living in plants could protect them from ants that cut up their leaves to feed their own fungal gardens!
Download Episode (7.5 MB, 8.2 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Escherichia virus RB3
Rocha SL, Evans HC, Jorge VL, Cardoso LAO, Pereira FST, Rocha FB, Barreto RW, Hart AG, Elliot SL. 2017. Recognition of endophytic Trichoderma species by leaf-cutting ants and their potential in a Trojan-horse management strategy. R Soc Open Sci 4:160628.
Other interesting stories:
- What kinds of bacteria live on cats’ skin (paper)
- Microbes could help reduce levels of most toxic mercury form
- Plant bacteria can protect plants against cadmium toxicity (paper)
- Rotifer transposons can protect them against aging
- Bacteria help protect against Listeria infection
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!