This episode: A stable community of only 7 bacteria around corn roots take on similar functions to the much more diverse soil community!
Download Episode (8.2 MB, 9 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Mycoplasma arginini
Gavelis GS, Wakeman KC, Tillmann U, Ripken C, Mitarai S, Herranz M, Özbek S, Holstein T, Keeling PJ, Leander BS. 2017. Microbial arms race: Ballistic “nematocysts” in dinoflagellates represent a new extreme in organelle complexity. Sci Adv 3:e1602552.
Other interesting stories:
- Astronaut Kate Rubin’s experience as microbiologist in space (paywall)
- Engineered nitrogen-fixing bacteria can reduce need for fertilizer (paper)
- Diversity of bacterial communities on leaves linked with ecosystem productivity (paper)
- Using parts of phages to do rapid detection of pathogens (paper)
- Microbiome modification contributes to effect of diabetes medication
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!