This episode: Tardigrades have an interesting way of surviving complete drying out: by producing proteins lacking a stable structure!
Download Episode (11.8 MB, 13 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Chandipura vesiculovirus
Boothby TC, Tapia H, Brozena AH, Piszkiewicz S, Smith AE, Giovannini I, Rebecchi L, Pielak GJ, Koshland D, Goldstein B. 2017. Tardigrades Use Intrinsically Disordered Proteins to Survive Desiccation. Mol Cell 65:975–984.e5.
Other interesting stories:
- Gut microbes are important for many bee bodily functions (paper)
- Bacterium helps defend insects but makes plants sick
- Bacteria can mutate faster or slower to adapt to their environment
- Cyanobacteria respond to different colors of light in different ways(paper)(commentary)
- Intense prolonged exercise could negatively impact the gut community
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!