This episode: Filament-forming organisms help bacteria swim through soil and exchange genes with each other! Also, new feature: microbe of the episode!
Download Episode (13.2 MB, 14.4 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Azotobacter vinelandii
Video of bacteria swimming along mycelium:
Berthold T, Centler F, Hübschmann T, Remer R, Thullner M, Harms H, Wick LY. 2016. Mycelia as a focal point for horizontal gene transfer among soil bacteria. Sci Rep 6:36390.
Other interesting stories:
- Bacterial DNA reduces mouse airway allergies
- Changes in microbiomes of people in 500-day space simulation(paper)
- Using advanced electron microscopy to visualize giant virus
- Bacterial predators find prey by both being trapped by their own whirlpools
- Many unusual viruses are moving around in the fluids of the rocky ocean floor
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!