This episode: Gut microbes can even affect formation/remodeling of bones!
Download Episode (8.5 MB, 9.3 minutes)
Yan J, Herzog JW, Tsang K, Brennan CA, Bower MA, Garrett WS, Sartor BR, Aliprantis AO, Charles JF. 2016. Gut microbiota induce IGF-1 and promote bone formation and growth. Proc Natl Acad Sci 113:E7554–E7563.
Other interesting stories:
- Raindrops can spread soil bacteria around everywhere
- Lots to learn from studying sauerkraut (paywall)
- Only some bacteria in a colony do all the expanding and multiplying(paper)
- Phage genes help Wolbachia prevent host insects from interbreeding with uninfected hosts (paper)
- Probiotic bacteria could help prevent damage from heavy metals(paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!