This episode: Tiny super-resistant animals, tardigrades, make proteins that can directly shield DNA from radiation!
Download Episode (7.3 MB, 8 minutes)
News item 1/News item 2
Hashimoto T, Horikawa DD, Saito Y, Kuwahara H, Kozuka-Hata H, Shin-I T, Minakuchi Y, Ohishi K, Motoyama A, Aizu T, Enomoto A, Kondo K, Tanaka S, Hara Y, Koshikawa S, Sagara H, Miura T, Yokobori S, Miyagawa K, Suzuki Y, Kubo T, Oyama M, Kohara Y, Fujiyama A, Arakawa K, Katayama T, Toyoda A, Kunieda T. 2016. Extremotolerant tardigrade genome and improved radiotolerance of human cultured cells by tardigrade-unique protein. Nat Commun 7:12808.
Other interesting stories:
- New sunscreen compounds could come from bacteria
- Bacterial fingerprints don’t last forever (paper)
- Virus infecting bacteria makes structure like a nucleus (paper)
- Microbes could produce useful, biological nanowires
- Finding viruses to control fungal pathogens of plants
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!