I’m back! This episode: Lichens, long known to be a partnership between fungi and algae, now discovered to have an important third member!
Download Episode (8.1 MB, 8.9 minutes)
Spribille T, Tuovinen V, Resl P, Vanderpool D, Wolinski H, Aime MC, Schneider K, Stabentheiner E, Toome-Heller M, Thor G, Mayrhofer H, Johannesson H, McCutcheon JP. 2016. Basidiomycete yeasts in the cortex of ascomycete macrolichens. Science 353:488–492.
Other interesting stories:
- Some protists like to eat archaea (paper)
- Bee bacteria can break down harmful sugars in bee food (paper)
- Testing how best to use mosquito bacteria to block virus transmission (paper)
- Studying Inuit gut microbes
- Temperature affects Wolbachia health in mosquitoes (paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!