This episode: Bacteria in mosquito cells can block transmission of Zika virus!
Download Episode (8.1 MB, 8.9 minutes)
Aliota MT, Peinado SA, Velez ID, Osorio JE. 2016. The wMel strain of Wolbachia Reduces Transmission of Zika virus by Aedes aegypti. Sci Rep 6:28792.
Other interesting stories:
- Modified bacteria change behavior as temperature changes
- Ants’ bacteria produce antifungal compounds (paper)
- Gut microbes may be related to macular degeneration
- E. coli could be used to make vaccines (paper)
- Using bacteria to produce testosterone (paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!