This episode: Viruses infecting photosynthetic bacteria could transfer immunity to other viruses between their hosts!
Download Episode (6.8 MB, 7.4 minutes)
Chénard C, Wirth JF, Suttle CA. 2016. Viruses Infecting a Freshwater Filamentous Cyanobacterium (Nostoc sp.) Encode a Functional CRISPR Array and a Proteobacterial DNA Polymerase B. mBio 7:e00667-16.
Other interesting stories:
- Salt-loving bacteria could maintain concrete structures in the ocean (paper)
- Ancient viral infection changed how mammals develop placentas and muscle
- Bees and flowers trade microbes
- Fungi have specific genes that help trees with drought
- Probiotic can affect Candida yeast’s virulence (paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!