This episode: Cyanobacteria in biocrusts produce pigments that heat their surroundings up to 10 degrees hotter!
Download Episode (7 MB, 7.6 minutes)
Couradeau E, Karaoz U, Lim HC, Nunes da Rocha U, Northen T, Brodie E, Garcia-Pichel F. 2016. Bacteria increase arid-land soil surface temperature through the production of sunscreens. Nat Commun 7:10373.
Other interesting stories:
- Engineering better bioplastic production from bacteria
- Groups of bacteria can show a kind of memory
- Bacteria in gut are competing and killing each other a lot
- Exercise helps mice gut health, regardless of weight (paper)
- Bacteria help insects tolerate cabbage toxin
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!