This episode: Fungi modified to produce spider and scorpion toxins kill malaria-transmitting mosquitoes extra fast!
Thanks to Brian Lovett for his contribution.
Download Episode (7.8 MB, 8.5 minutes)
Microbe of the episode: Microbispora parva
Bilgo E, Lovett B, Fang W, Bende N, King GF, Diabate A, Leger RJS. 2017. Improved efficacy of an arthropod toxin expressing fungus against insecticide-resistant malaria-vector mosquitoes. Sci Rep 7:3433.
Other interesting stories:
- Virus-like protein helps bacteria eat fungi (paper)
- Molecules from good bacteria help animals stay healthy for longer(paper)
- Zika virus could help treat brain cancer
- Probiotic bacterium helps prevent gluten-related gut problems in mice (paper)
- Native vs. invader microbes help or prevent invasive marine plants invade
Post questions or comments here or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!
Subscribe at iTunes or Google Play, support the show at Patreon, or check out the show at Twitter, or Facebook