This episode: Clostridium bacteria that infect potatoes can both kill competitors and tolerate oxygen, thanks to the pink compounds they produce!
Download Episode (12.4 MB, 13.5 minutes)
Shabuer G, Ishida K, Pidot SJ, Roth M, Dahse H-M, Hertweck C. 2015. Plant pathogenic anaerobic bacteria use aromatic polyketides to access aerobic territory. Science 350:670–674.
Other interesting stories:
- Soil bacteria protect themselves from amoeba with chemical defense (paper)
- Understanding how probiotics could help fight rotavirus infection (paper)
- Bacteria help defend ants from fungi (paper)
- Modifying useful biofuel yeast with CRISPRs
- Fungi could make useful adhesives (paper)
Post questions or comments here or email to email@example.com. Thanks for listening!